Busy schedules and stressful lifestyles cause numerous people to suffer from the problem of lower back or leg pain. Usage of epidural steroid injection is considered to be an effective solution to resolve the issue of such back pain. Some people are really scared of going for surgeries. Injecting epidural steroids is a non-surgical way of treating lower back pain or sciatica. The injection has been named an epidural steroid as it includes injection of steroid medication and a local anaesthetic into the epidural space surrounding the nerve roots and the spinal cord.
What are the primary goals of Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection?
The lumbar epidural steroids are injected into the human body with a few aims in mind. We have provided them in the pointers below:
- Reduction of pain by putting a check on the inflammation that occurs around the nerve roots
- Restore the function and mobility of legs and lower back
- Enable the patient to participate in comprehensive physical therapy and rehabilitation program that ultimately yield fruitful results
What are the perks of Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection?
There should be no hesitation in accepting the fact that epidural injection can be really helpful in situations such as acute leg pain or back pain. Here at Advanced Spine Center, we have always tried to educate people about the need for certain treatments. Dr. Stephen P. Courtney believes that lack of knowledge about a treatment option is the primary reason behind confusion and hesitation. The benefits of lumbar epidural steroid injection are:
- Helps to reduce inflammation – Injecting steroids lessen the production of chemicals that are responsible for inflammation. It can also reduce the sensitivity of nerves to pain and as a result generate relatively fewer signals.
- Helps to avoid oral medication – There are a lot of people who do not like the intake of oral medications. Going for a lumbar epidural steroid injection can eliminate the necessity of oral medication. These medications can also have an adverse effect on your body in the days to come.
- Post-surgery – Injecting lumbar epidural steroids can reduce the urgency of the surgery getting done immediately. Moreover, if undergoing physical therapy starts to show positive results, the need to go for surgery can be eliminated as well.
We hope that going through this blog helped you gain a clear understanding of lumbar epidural injection and its need. If you are suffering from the problem of lower back pain or leg pain, do give the idea of consulting Dr. Stephen P. Courtney, MD a thought. He is the best spine surgeon in Plano TX and has a solution for all your problems.